We know that the operating system is like a heart to a computer or any mobile device that manages the system and provides an interface between user and hardware.
It includes the device drivers, kernel, and others and allows the user to interact with the system.
Different types of operating systems are used for different purposes in different systems. In addition, it is also responsible for sending data to other devices on a network.
In this article, we will discuss the installation process of an operating system i.e. booting and its various methods
The process of handling an operating system into a computer is called booting. It will happen when the computer starts and power are turned on.
The boot device in the computer loads the operating system into the memory of the computer.
There are two types of booting they are
- Cold booting: In this booting when the computer is started after switched off
- Warm booting: In this type of booting the operating system itself restart without switching off when the system went crash or freeze.
In modern PC through the booting device operating system is loaded to the computer. These include various devices like a floppy drive, optical drive floppy drive, or through USB cable.
There is no standard sequence for booting in PC at primarily the CPU runs an instruction in memory for BIOS. That instruction consists of a jump instruction that moves to the BIOS start-up program.
This program runs a power-on self-test (POST) to detect that devices the computer will continue functioning properly. Then, the BIOS refers to the configured boot sequence till it finds the device that is bootable.
Once it finds a bootable device and it loads the boot sector and transfers execution to the boot sector. If the boot device is a hard drive, then it is a master boot record or MBR.
The MBR code searches the partition table for an active partition.
If anything found, the MBR code loads that partition’s boot sector and executes it. The boot sector is operating system specific, however, in most operating systems, its main function is to load and execute the operating system kernel.
Now we will discuss the most convenient method i.e. bootable pen drive which can be used for booting instead of CDs.
Bootable USBs have many advantages like reusability, fast-read-write, and portability. These are the reason why everyone prefers this now we discuss how to make bootable Pendrive.
How to Make Bootable Pendrive
There are many methods for making a bootable pen drive, however here we have the simplest and easiest way to do this they are
The steps given below contains the steps to do by this :
- Step 1:Download The Power ISO Software From PoweISO.com by searching from Google.
- Step 2:After that Install the PowerISO.
- Step 3:Then run that PowerISO software.
- Step 4:Now select On Tools and click on ‘Create a Bootable Pendrive’ option.
- Step 5:After that give the Source Image File Path and Select The Destination USB Drive.
- Step 6:Then click on the start button and it will be ready soon.
To make bootable pen drive by Rufus refer the following steps given below:
- Step 1: Open up Rufus and insert the USB into the computer.
- Step 2: it will automatically detect the USB and click on Device and select the USB to want to use from the drop-down menu.
- Step 3:Ensure that the boot selection option is set to Disk or ISO image then click Select after that Rufus will open a file explorer browser window; locate the ISO image that we want to burn onto the USB and select it.
- Step 4: And we want to create a standard Windows installation, and Rufus will automatically detect the correct Partition Scheme based on the device, so keep the default settings as they are.
Step 5: Give the Volume label a name, or skip and once again leave the default settings for File system and Cluster size. And then click Start
- Step 6:then The user will get a warning saying that any data on the USB will be destroyed. Click OK and Rufus will start creating the ISO image on the USB.
- Step 7: if Rufus has finished creating the ISO image on the USB, and it means that the bootable USB is ready
To make a bootable pen drive by win USB refer the following step.
- Step1: Insert the USB flash drive on USB and copy the all content of Windows distribution
- Step 2: make the main partition of USB stick active that mark it as bootable by using Microsoft tools for managing the distribution.
- Step 3: launch the diskpart by clicking the start button and type” diskpart” in search programs and double click on diskapart.exe program
- Step 4: After that start type “list “command and click enter and choose the flash drive .
- Step 5: Type “select partition 1” in the command line and click Enter button and it will point diskpart that the user works with the first partition of the disk.
- Step 6: Type “active” and click “Enter” that will points partition as available to boot. And then the drive marked as bootable, type “exit” and click Enter that will close Diskpart.
- Step 7: For completing the task, the user needs to click the Start menu button and run cmd.exe as an administrator to start the Windows installation.
- Step 8: When the command prompt is started, navigate to “\boot” directory of the user’s flash drive using commands like” drive letter” to prompt the USB stick, we need to run the command like “cd \boot” to move the command prompt pointer to boot directory where bootsect.exe is located and “bootsect /nt60 [drive letter]: /mbr” to make Master Boot Record and Master Boot Code of pen drive to be able to run Windows installation.